Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Taupe Tuesdays! - Sonia Kashuk's Burnished.

It's Tuesday!! Why are Tuesday's awesome? Well, a few reasons. That means that you've gotten through Monday, the most dreaded day of the week. It also means that the next day is Wednesday. The half-way mark! Which means the next day is Thursday and then Friday! So, you see, Tuesday's aren't so bad ;)

Tuesday also means...Taupe Tuesdays!! I just thought this little "feature" would show off the wonderful world of taupe eyeshadow. I love taupe shadow because it can be translated a million different ways. You have brown taupes, silver taupes, grey taupes, purple or plum taupes...you get the picture. I have a good number of taupe shadows in my stash. Okay. Maybe too many.

The first taupe to kick it off, is a new addition to the family. I picked this up last week at Target. It was just way too pretty to be left alone on the shelf:


Ladies and gentlemen,
Sonia Kashuk's Burnished


Closer? Yes. Can't you feel the taupe-ey goodness?


Burnished is definitely a brown-based taupe (with silver shimmer). The pictures above makes it look really silver, but that's due to the flash. The swatch is much more accurate to what it looks like in real life.

Just looking at the pan, and thinking from memory, I had thought that maybe Burnished could be a dupe for Stila's Diamond Lil.


Well, not so much.
(Left: Diamond Lil / Right: Burnished)



Left: Diamond Lil
Right: Burnished

You can see by the comparison, they're really nothing alike. But I do give SK props because it has a very similar texture to Stila. They both have excellent pigment and a soft, buttery texture with a metallic finish.

I'm going to need your help soon! Very very soon! My best friend is getting married in three weeks and I'm one of her bridesmaids, naturally (I'm one of three, it's a small wedding!). It's going to be fabulous for a few reasons: 1) She's getting married in San Fransisco! 2) She's getting married at the zoo! Yes. The San Fransisco Zoo :] ) I've been trying to be good and resisting the urge to go out and buy some new makeup for the occasion and try to come up with the perfect look with what I already have in my stash (We are doing everything pretty relaxed, meaning we are doing our own makeup, hair, and she's letting us do whatever we want). I think I'm going to need some suggestions, I'm getting totally lost on what kind of look to go with. I'll post my dress sometime this week and you can all suggest away!

The only not-so-fabulous thing I'm dealing with right now is the nice string of zits on my forehead :( Doesn't my skin know this is serious business? So now until the wedding I'm taking extra care of my skin with scrubs and masks and tea tree oil. Eugh. The tea tree oil is new, I picked up a bottle on clearance last week for $3.50. I read it's best used a few drops at a time on a damp cotton pad. I'm giving it a whirl tonight, if I can get over the smell, hopefully it will help keep skin clear until the wedding. After the 24th- my skin is free to go wild and do whatever it wants to do :-*

4 comments:

The App Goddess said...

That color is great. I haven't tried any of her makeup yet, but I do love her highlighting brush.

Unknown said...

oooh, that is a lovely taupe. I finally found the blue peep and the skunk brush. I haven't tried them out, but every time I look at the blue peep, I see the face you drew on yours, lol

An Indian's Makeup Blog said...

Hmm...I have a taupe rec for you...
Do try Ulta's mineral powder eye shadow in Haze. You might like it!
There is a very nice matte taupe by Prescriptives...I cant remember the name though :(

Tanya said...

Thank you for the rec!!!!! I don't have an Ulta anywhere near me but funny enough I'm planning on visiting one this weekend! I'll have to make sure to check it out :D