Monday, September 07, 2009

Barbie Loves Stila - Little Black Dress

I'm sure you've heard it time and time again, every woman needs a Little Black Dress in their wardrobe. I wouldn't say I'm a fashion hound by any means, but even I know how important a Little Black Dress is. I knew the power of the LBD since high school- when I "invested" in a black sheath dress from Gap. Boy, did that thing take me far! Dinners, band concerts- you name it- it was the most useful thing in my closet (well, that and my band uniform! *wink*). The LBD has been around for decades, but was really popularized in the early 60s with a little film called Breakfast at Tiffany's........



Heck, I still use that dress to this day. Mostly for costumes, though. It served me well during two different Halloweens where it was the base for my Cruella De Vil costume (last year) and a few years ago where it served as the main piece for the iconic movie character above (Haha, I was a short, chubbier version of Holly, but everyone knew who I was!).

Stila, with the help of Barbie, has recently released their own version of the Little Black Dress in Smudge Pot form. And, let me tell 'ya, it's gorgeous.


Sorry, Barbie looks kinda drugged out!

I picked this up today when I made a trip to Ulta to visit/bother my best friend Yvonne (Who told me when I left "You better blog about me!!!" AND her birthday is tomorrow- HAPPY BIRTHDAY ♥). I really couldn't leave the store without it.

Upon first glance at the product, you really don't think too much of it. Looks like your basic black. But when you get it under the right light, it really starts to sparkle, literally.



Little Black Dress is a gel eye liner with a black base and pink (let that sink in for a second.....PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!) shimmer/glitter. The following swatch was taken indoors under a desk lamp, so it almost looks kind of purple, even blue in some shots that I took.



This is actually the first Smudge Pot I've ever owned. I'm no stranger to the product, though. A couple of years ago I had my eyes done by one of the gals at Sephora (who actually used to work at the Stila counter, back in the days of yore when the line used to be at Macy's) and she used the black Smudge Pot for a retro-ish liner look- and that stuff didn't budge. This is no exception. I did a demo for my mom (I demo a lot for her!) after taking pictures of it and she was rather impressed. The swatch did not budge and I had very little glitter transfer (I don't expect to be rubbing my eyes when I wear this, so I know it won't be a problem.

Back to swatches......can I say how hard it was to take pictures of this sucker? As mentioned above, it was hard to get accurate color indoors, so I went outside. Yeah, didn't help too much either.....



The sun was setting and I still don't know my camera too well enough to fiddle with the settings, so the above photo looks a bit drab. But, the sparkles do look more pink than purple/blue like the first swatch photo.


See the sparkles? Are they calling to you? Are they saying "Buy Me"?

There are two other Smudge Pots in the collection, including Cobalt Clutch (a bright blue) and Purple Pumps (bright purple/violet). No doubt, both gorgeous, but not a necessity in my arsenal. If you aren't a fan of bright color, Little Black Dress is the color for you. It hsa a smooth application and was easy creating a nice crisp line (with the aid of the MAC 266 brush). If the pink shimmer scares you don't, the shimmer is not over the top, but rather gives your eye a little extra sparkle when you bat your lashes ;)

Little Black Dress Smudge Pot retails for $20, and can be found wherever Stila is sold; including Ulta, Sephora, and Stila.Com

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

Great swatch and review! I got this recently too and love it but I think it was named the wrong name b/c it's definitely not black.

Still lovely and I love it to death.

Thanks for the great pics :)

BALLET NEWS said...

Oh WOW, this is so clever - you have the most gorgeous site here and I had to stop by to leave this comment for you – and to say hello of course ! Your posts are creative and original and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect ! Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes....

Sara said...

eff. yeah they're calling to me! i'm not listening! >.<

love the blog!

Alyson @ The Gloss Menagerie said...

Why don't you just pour gasoline on this fire then? I already wanted it. Now I NEED it. :P

Tanya said...

@Elise - Thank you so much for your sweet comment!!! ♥

@Aly- MUAHA. My job is done ;D

Christy said...

At first I thought, no, I already have MAC Blackground Paint Pot and the Greasepaint sticks. No need to buy more black bases. Your swatches just make it made me checkout on Sephora. ;)