Thursday, May 01, 2008

Avon Satin Deluxe Eyeshadow Duos

I think I have a problem.
You see, I've had the following items for quite a while. It wasn't until I was looking for a backup of my loose powder (NYC translucent), that I came across these eyeshadows. Isn't that the sign of a problem? When you have so much stuff you forget what you have?

Oh well :)

This morning I'm going to talk about Avon's Satin Deluxe Eyeshadow Duos. It seems like everyone is getting on the "baked makeup" train. For example, you have Laura Geller's extensive line of baked blushes, powders, and eyeshadow. Even Stila has some baked makeup items. Then, of course, there's the granddaddy of all baked makeup products, the elusive and exclusive MAC Mineralized Skinfinishes (and foudnation, and eyeshadows).

Avon has since jumped on many a makeup bandwagon. They just released a whole line of mineral makeup, and along with these baked eyeshadows they also released baked blush duos. They didn't do a bad job of it either. If you take a look at the photo below, they actually look like MAC's mineralized eyeshadow duos of the past. While I've tried MAC's version, I do have to say Avon ain't too bad...


Clockwise L to R:
Teal Appeal, Sandstorm, Plum Pair

The fist shadow is Teal Appeal:

The first shade is a shimmery light blue. The great thing about all these shadows is that they are very soft, and somewhat fragile. The second shade is a deep blue/green. It's not as pigmented as I thought it was going to be, and there were slight "chunks" of shimmer. I haven't tried it wet yet but I think it would go on smoother. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad color at all. I apologize that these are not the best photos and I couldn't capture the "true" colors. The darker shade of this duo has a beautiful duochome effect to it where in some light it shimmers blue, and at another angle it shimmers green.

The next duo is Sandstorm:

This is a rather warm trio, and I don't do very well with warm colors. I haven't tried it on my eyes yet but the shades are just too gorgeous for it to give it away...I'll make it work ;) When it comes to pigment, this one takes the cake. The light side is a beigy-gold color, and would be a fabulous higlight shadow. The darker shade is an awesome bronzy-brown with flicks of gold. Again, I haven't worn it on my eyes yet so I don't know if it will give me the dreaded "red bunny eye" look that so many brown shadows give me.


The last duo is Plum Pair:

I have a weakness for purples so this was an obvious purchase. The first ligher shade is a silvery-lavendar color (with a hint of pink?). The second is a plummy purple. Not as pigmented as I hoped it would be, but I have tried this one wet and it's much more deeper and vibrant (sorry, forgot to swatch 'em wet!); I definitely like it better as a liner.

Overall- these are pretty fabulous for the price and size. All the shades have a smooth finish and shimmer is neither over the top or glittery. Sidenote: all the above swatches were done dry on my arm without a base. Like I mentioned above, the darker side of the Plum Pair duo is much more vibrant when used wet, so I would imagine the same would hold true for the others. Again, I've said this over and over (and probably will continue to do so) that Avon has greatly improved on a number of products that really deliver. I am proud to give this my "stamp of approval".

Avon Satin Deluxe Eyeshadow Duos comes in 6 shades and retail for $8 available for sale on Avon's website or through your local Avon Representative.



****************************************

Other notes for today:

1) It's Friday! That's enough reason to celebrate, right?
2) Is there anyone else who doesn't dress down for Payday Friday's? I'm in a green/black printed skirt with a black sweater and black peep-toe heals. Everyone else is in kakhis and polos. Go against the grain, I say!
3) Unless you live under a rock, you should know by now that MAC's newest collection, Naughty Nauticles, was released nationwide yesterday. I don't have time to make it to the mall during the week- so I have plans to stop by on Sunday, I have a small shopping list ready to go.
4) It's no surprise by now that I have a small obsession for The Office. Can I flail about last night for a just a second? Jim is going to kill me with those "almost" proposals and Ryan and Toby just need to get out. How. Mean. Dwight wins and Darryl does too with his gang tips. I love this show.

No comments: